Today was a good day. A productive day- or at least the first half. It wore me out so much, I have spent the second half of the day being lazy. There are no pictures to document all the work this morning because I was in my jammies, enjoying pandora, with my hair in a messy bun.
I spent the past few days trying to prepare for my first crockpot/freezer cooking by reading TONS of pinterest links and making a shopping and cooking list. There were a LOT of good tips about how to prepare, but ultimately, I did what worked best for me, my schedule, and my kitchen. 🙂
Here are some thoughts about my experience:
- I LOVE it. I will most certainly be doing this again and hopefully perfecting it before baby comes in May 🙂
- I read that you should wear an apron- which is a great idea! (But I just throw a towel over my shoulder like my dad always does)
- I liked to chop/sort for each recipe as I went. I read that you should do all the “prep” the night before, but as far as I was concerned, that just meant another night of dirtying dishes. Besides, I do not have a lot of counter space, so I couldn’t lay everything out like others did. I don’t have enough bowls to chop more than a few things at a time… I liked doing it one meal at a time so I could stop and: put a load of laundry in, police whatever my kids were arguing about, get games down for the kids, wash a few dishes, etc.
- Have a mid-morning break and get a snack to keep your momentum up!
- While you are at it, make dinner because you will be too tired after cooking- or go out to eat 🙂
Here are some of the recipes that I made. I will post about them/how I liked them after we eat each one!
Meatloaf (I basically made my own meatloaf recipe and froze it)
And I made up my last one: An italian beef bake of sorts. I browned some meat, added mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and broth.
And lastly: according to my last bullet, I made dinner for tonight and I CANNOT wait to eat it! I don’t know how it taste yet, but it looked GREAT!
*** Update: The casserole was FANTASTIC. I will be making it again for sure. I used bell pepper instead of green onion and I only used 2 chicken breast that I chopped in my food processor.